June 11, 2012

Maeva's Birth Story: Part 1

I have been wanting to get Maeva's birth story typed up before too much time went by and I forgot the details, but things have just been busy! This is going to be long, so I might end up writing it in a few parts. So here we go!

For those of you that might not know, I had to have a c-section with Manny because he wasn't tolerating labor well. (His birth story is here if you're interested.) I had a pretty difficult recovery, and when I got pregnant this time I knew I wanted to try for a VBAC (Va.ginal Birth After Ceasarean). I want to start off by saying I don't think there's anything wrong with c-sections or repeat c-sections, but this is just what was best for me and my situation. A lot of thought and prayer went into this decision, and we felt confident that it was the best choice for me personally. While there are risks to it, there are also risks to repeat c-sections, so you are basically just choosing which set of risks you're most comfortable with and determining what is best for you. I never would have pursued this had the Lord not given me peace about doing so. My younger sister has had 2 VBAC's and she was a huge source of encouragement to me. I definitely couldn't have done it without her.

The fact that I was trying for a VBAC meant one thing: no induction of labor. For a VBAC, I needed to go into labor on my own. My doctor would allow me to go to 41.5 weeks before it would be a c-section. I was 40 weeks, 6 days when my water broke, much to my surprise. Here's how the day played out.

It was Friday, May 11th, and I'd been having sporadic contractions for the last several days. At my appointment on Wednesday, I was only dilated about 1 cm and my cervix was still really posterior, so I knew I had a long ways to go. At this point, I honestly thought I would end up having a scheduled c-section on May 16th because I just didn't feel like I was ever going to go into full blown labor. That being said, I was still doing everything in my power to send myself into labor...walking, pumping, and you know....other stuff. None of it seemed to be doing the trick, but maybe all together it actually did something in the end? Who knows.
I decided to meet my friend Megan at the mall Friday morning to get some walking in. We had talked about going to the zoo but it was so hot so we thought the mall would be better. We did some shopping, Manny kept me on my toes, and my contractions continued about every 3-7 minutes apart at this point. We stayed for a little bit, but I eventually decided to head home as I was getting worn out from dealing with Manny and the contractions. I had a feeling at that point that I wouldn't make it through the weekend, and turns out I was right!

We got home, and I put Manny down for a nap, then decided to take a nap myself. My contractions had died down somewhat at this point so I was able to get a little bit of rest. When I woke up from my nap, I felt great and decided that maybe I wasn't going to be having a baby this weekend after all. I started some laundry, and realized in the meantime that I might have wet my pants a little bit. (I know that is gross, but I'm just trying to share the real deal here. Feel free to stop reading if you don't want the details...you know how I am about over-sharing here.) It didn't really cross my mind that it could be my water breaking because it wasn't much at all, and I thought it was just part of all the other weird stuff your body does before going into labor. Plus the only thing I had to compare it to was my water breaking with Manny, and it broke as a result of me being induced and was your text book "gush" that they talk about. So this just didn't really cross my mind as being my water. However, as time went on and I'd have a tad more here and there, I decided to text Patrick and ask his opinion. He was still in clinic, and I didn't want to make a big deal of it as I was sure it wasn't my water. He asked me some questions, and based on my answers he was pretty sure it was my water. So he came home from clinic, and brought some swab deal so he could check and see if it was my water that had broken. And after checking, it appeared that was the case! This test isn't 100% accurate but after examining me he was fairly confident my water had broken, and I was about 3 cm & 50% effaced at that point. So we started making preparations to head to the hospital, and get Manny to Candice's (my best friend) house as she would be keeping him for the night. My mom was on her way down already but I wanted her at the hospital with me for the delivery, so I was so thankful that Candice was able to keep Manny.
This would be the point I started freaking out a little. Not majorly though, because I still wasn't having regular contractions so I wasn't convinced my water had broken. I actually felt pretty good and Patrick was giving me a hard time, telling me to look more in pain or they'd never believe I was in labor when we got to the hospital. Ha! I was mostly freaking out about leaving Manny. I felt SO bad and he knew something was up too, so that kicked my mommy guilt into overdrive. Regardless, I pulled it together and got our stuff all packed up and ready to go.

We drove to Candice's house and took Manny inside to get settled. He knew we were about to leave him and was not happy about it. Luckily Candice was able to distract him by playing with her daughter and we made our escape. He ended up having a great time and it worked out perfectly for him to stay there.
Once we got to the hospital, my mom was already there waiting and we were able to go right back to get checked out. They confirmed my water had broken, so they went ahead and admitted me (I was  about 4 cm at this point). My contractions had slowed down quite a bit again, so it still didn't seem like this was really happening. Once we got back to the room, I asked if I could get out of the bed to do some walking, in hopes that it would help my contractions pick back up. Unfortunately since my water had broken, they said I had to stay in bed. I was not too excited about this as laboring in the flat hospital bed is not that comfortable, and it certainly wasn't going to help my labor progress. The nurse checked with my doctor, and he gave the okay for me to labor on the stability ball and also to pump. So that's what I did (on & off) for the next several hours.

Unfortunately I still wasn't making any progress, even though my contractions had picked back up. When they checked me at about 3:45 am and I still hadn't progressed, we decided it was time for the epidural in hopes that maybe it would allow my body to relax and progress.

After I got the epidural, I was able to sleep for a little bit, which was great. I have to say it was an excellent epidural. I could still move my legs around and even push myself up off the bed. I liked that I still had feeling because it freaked me out on my epidural with Manny when really I couldn't move at all.

Around 7 am, they checked me and I had progressed to 7 cm! SO excited to have made progress as I knew we were running out of time before my 24 hours was up. I was feeling good and just excited to get this show on the road.

They checked me again around 10:30 am, and unfortunately I was still at a 7. Shortly thereafter, several people rushed in my room and put oxygen on me and started repositioning me, etc. Apparently Maeva had some late decels so they were watching her closely and wanted to make sure it didn't happen again. At that point, the resident who was managing my labor came in and said that my doctor was giving me an hour to progress, and if nothing changed then it was back for a c-section.

I'll admit - that resulted in some tears. It came out of nowhere to me, and Maeva was doing fine other than that one small incident so I just wasn't expecting to hear that. I was just emotional because I was in labor (obviously) and had tried so hard for a VBAC to happen. And to make it that far, and the possibility of not having it happen, was a little bit of a disappointment. My mom, Patrick, and I prayed together for peace for the situation. Of course the ultimate goal was to get Maeva here safely, so that's all that mattered. After praying, I felt so much better and knew that whatever the outcome, we would be fine...I was just ready to meet my baby girl!

This is getting really long, so I will try to finish it up and post part 2 tomorrow! :)


  1. I love birth stories! I never did write mine out for the blog.. though I did in my pregnancy/Evie's baby journal. But I always loved reading them- especially when I was pregnant!

    Okay, and I must say- your husband examining you caught me by surprise! HA! I probably wouldn't let my hubby do it, even if he WAS an ob/gyn!! Can't wait to hear the rest!

  2. Love hearing about Maeva's birth story! Can't wait to hear the rest!

  3. I just love reading birth stories..amazing. Thanks for the cliff hanger:) Will be back tomorrow!

  4. Ah! I love it! I love reading birth stories too!

  5. I don't want to wait until tomorrow...LOL. I also love reading birth stories. I think it is great that your husband is a OBGYN. That would have eased my mind so much. I will be back tomorrow. Took another peak of your beautiful Maeva again in your last post. She is breathtaking!

  6. I LOVE birth stories!!! I am anxious to hear what ended up happening. There is only one dr in Tulsa that will do a VBAC. But, I know a girl who just had one with that dr, and they induced her. I find the nuances of each dr interesting, because I always just assumed that they all had to do everything the same way.

  7. I also love hearing birth stories!! Mom guilt is the worst!! We had our second son a few weeks ago (he came 3 weeks early because the cord was wrapped around his neck a zillion times) & I was totally freaked out & sad because I didn't have the "last night of just the 3 of us" that I was planning with our 3 year old. Of course he got over it, because he is a 3 year old kid, but I just cried waiting for delivery just thinking about how his world was changing.

    She is such little cutie! Can't wait to hear the rest!

  8. I am so excited to hear how the rest played out. I am 39 weeks 2 days so I am ready to see how my own plays out!

  9. I'm so glad you are posting this story! Ok, so the pumping...tell me about that. It helps progress labor?

  10. I had twins born may 16, 2010 (same as manny I think). I tried to have a VBAC with baby #3 in December 2011, but it ended with a c-section after 20 hours of active labor. I was so disappointed and cried when I found out I was going to have to have a csection, can totally relate! When they did my c-section, the doctor discovered that my uterus had ruptured. A vag.inal delivery would have been very, very dangerous for me and the baby. The doctors know best.
    Can't wait to read the rest of your birth story! Maeva is precious!

  11. AH! I want to read the rest now too!!! Dont make us wait!!

  12. Love reading birth stories - especially since I've have two scheduled c-sections and am clueless about going into labor and such!

    Can't wait to hear the rest - and I laughed about Patrick bringing swabs home! One perk of being married to an OB!

  13. What an awesome cliff hanger!! Can't wait for part 2!!!!

  14. I can't wait to read part # 2 tomorrow! I love baby stories :)

  15. It's so convenient to have an OB/GYN for a hubs!!!


I love hearing from my readers and I appreciate every single comment left here! If you have a question, I will do my very best to answer it as soon as I can. If your email address is not linked to your blogger account (and if you're not sure, then it probably isn't) please leave it in your comment so that I can respond to you much quicker. Thanks for stopping by! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner




Life Sweet Life

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2013 • All Rights Reserved
Blogging tips